60 years deserves a celebration! (Pierre Cardin, 1967.) Story by Anne Pringle,
Cardin’s 60th anniversary
Pierre Cardin’s namesake label celebrated its diamond anniversary this week—that’s right, 60 years in fashion design. Cardin is known as the pioneer of Space Age fashion, who invented the bubble dress in 1954, and produced cutting-edge designs for major names like the Beatles and Rolling Stones. Yesterday, he showed a Spring 2011 show in Paris, and admitted to a reporter that he was “ashamed” of the designs which have been churned out by licensees of his name for years. If 88 year-old Cardin was at all concerned about his clothing still appealing to today’s youth, he can take it as a pretty good sign that Lady Gaga sported one of his dresses for a recent video shoot. (WWD)
Abercrombie legal troubles
Abercrombie & Fitch Co. has been fined $1.05 million in a settlement with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The company allegedly violated federal immigration laws by failing to check that some of its employees were eligible to work in the U.S. There was no evidence that any illegal workers had actually been hired, just that there was some kind of deficiency with their electronic I-9 verification system, but the ICE found that “employers are responsible not only for the people they hire, but also for the internal systems they choose to utilize to manage their employment process.” (WWD)
Prada: Made in India?
Prada’s garments have always traditionally sported a label reading “Made in Italy”, because the vast majority of their goods (85 percent) are in fact made in Italian factories. Miuccia Prada felt the need to “take away the hypocrisy” for the other 15 percent, and has thus introduced new “country of origin” labels on her designs, which will take pride in the brand’s use of international artisans. The newest collections sporting the labels will include a “PRADA Made in Scotland” collection of tartan wool knits; a “PRADA Made in India” collection of entirely handmade garments; “PRADA Made in Japan” line of jeans by Dova denim manufacturer; and a “PRADA Made in Peru” collection of artisanal alpaca wool knitwear. (Vogue UK)
Russell Simmons, the pioneer of hip-hop group Def Jam and creator of clothing line Phat Farm, decided to step away from hip-hop culture when he created ArgyleCulture three years ago. The men’s line is be aimed at the “urban graduate”, young men who have upgraded from the baggy-panted look to a more refined, sophisticated one. The brand hasn’t made much noise, so it is being re-launched today at Macy’s with a newly opened shop-in-shop. New fall ads will debut on October 11, featuring Tyson Beckford as the face of ArgyleCulture. (WWD)